The Ultimate Liberator!

For the seekers of knowledge
Can there be a knowledge?
better than
The Knowledge of The Divine, Shri Rama!

The one who liberated
Even the blades of grasses
And all the swarms of ants

Leaving none behind
That ever existed
In the Good City of Ayodhya

And placed them in
An exotic heaven
Created exclusively for them
By the Great Grandshire Brahma!

-Nammazhvaar


Ramayanam is Agriculture
Bhagavatham is Harvest
-Me


The twin-syllable, Rama
When a devotee exalts!
The Birth-Death cycle
It permanently halts

Goodness and Wealth
It everyday brings
Sin and poverty
It cleanses and shrinks

-Kambar


Goodness Honesty Sweetness Simplicity
Gentleness Strength Humility Bravery
Valour Talent Prowess Success
Memory Trustworthiness Heroism Genuinity
Such adorable qualities and so much more
By chanting Rama's name you will score!

-Me

My Lord's Story: Goodness Incarnate

Ramayanam in English poetry.

The Supreme Lord of the Universe was once born on this earth as a Human Being, faced challenges and had His share of pain and pleasure going through both good and bad times like any of us. Like any of us He too, took His turn in laughter and cry.

This humility of The Lord, that makes Him come down to earth and share with us our difficulties to show us a way to handle them is what I admire in Him. This quality of Him, makes me surrender to Him unconditionally and makes me want to sing His Glory on and on and on.

My Lord's Story is an out pour of my devotion that seeps out in gratitude for the pains He took to be a lighthouse for us, to cross the ocean of Samsara.

Links to all the posts have been provided in an order on the right side column.


Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Two Boons


Kaikeyi’s mind was poisoned completely
She was determined to achieve her ends discreetly
The only thing in her mind was to banish Rama
So she decided to create one hell of a drama!

She went to a room that was dark in a corner
And started to do things that spoiled her honor
She untied her hair and let it loose
Broke her bangles and behaved obtuse

Rehearsed in her mind, the words she must speak
She was determined to climb the forbidden peak
With pretentious tears rolling down her cheek
As if set on fire she started to squeak

Innocent Dasaratha came to her room
The sight that he saw shocked him, boom
Treating his wife like a little child
He spoke words of love that were gentle and mild

“What has happened to my beloved queen?
Why has she lost her lustre and sheen?
This distress in her, never have I seen!
From the days she were a cute little teen”

Saying thus, he kissed on her cheek
This love for her, made him weak
With kisses and caress he urged her to speak
Completely vulnerable to the damage she could wreak!

“My problem is mine, let it be!
There are thousand other women, you could see!
I want to stay in this room till my last
And until then, I am planning to fast”

Baffled by his wife’s unusual words
He felt as if he were cut by swords

“Don’t speak words that tear me apart
Of all my wives you’re a gem in my heart
Not just you, the whole world know this
And yet you choose to speak like this”

“Please do tell me, what went wrong?
Instead of sulking, please come strong
What has made you bitter and sad?
Did anyone dare to treat you bad?”

“All I want is that you tell me once
To wipe your misery, my orders would bounce”
Saying thus, the King begged and pleaded
After much sulking she slowly yielded

“None has dared to treat me bad
That isn’t the reason that makes me sad
What torments me is your forgetful mind!
And the contradicting act, so loving and kind”

Dasaratha was now quiet puzzled
He didn’t know why her talk was muffled
Seldom did he realise that it was a trap
Waiting his entry so that it can wrap

“What is that I forgot?
What is that, my Queen hasn’t got?”
What is that, you want from me?
I’ll get it done, what ever it be”

“Should I punish an innocent man?
Or is there something you want me to ban?
But please! Let me see your smile again
And the favour of your love let me gain”

“I don’t want to punish any innocent one
Nor, justice for my sake, need you shun
All I want is that you keep up your word
Like your forefathers who ruled the world”

Dasaratha was yet again more confused
Bewildering thoughts in him, her words infused
“What word do you want me to keep up now?
I would’ve done that long, if I knew how?”

“Do you remember the Sambarasura war?
When our chariot’s axle broke I drove you afar
Protecting you from a shameful defeat
Delighted were you, with my feat!”

“Then we made a quick retreat
And made the enemy taste defeat
You praised me with words flattering and sweet
And offered me two boons, as a success treat”

“Oh! Those two boons!” Dasaratha smiled
“Is that what made you wild?
Didn’t you say that you’ll accept them later?
Redeem them now, what’s the matter?”

Kaikeyi’s trap grew tighter and tighter
And so her face became brighter and brighter!
“Do you say that I can take up my right?
And you will not, back up and fight?”

“Why will I ever go back on my word?
For I am the father of Rama in this world
On my beloved Rama’s life, I say
What I owe you, I am ready to pay”

A promise on Rama was all that she needed
She was rejoicing at heart that the king had heeded
Now she spoke with ultimate confidence
Words that were poisonous marked with impudence

“May Bharatha become king and sit on the throne!
Rama for fourteen years, to the jungle, be gone”
Dasaratha’s head, now started to spin
But the wicked Kaikeyi rejoiced her win

Dasaratha for a moment blacked out clean
Then on the wall near by, he did lean
Dropped down to the floor like a lifeless one
Thinking only of Rama, his beloved son

He then somehow regained his senses
Helplessly hoping her acts would be pretenses
“Kaikeyi! Kaikeyi! Kaikeyi! My dear wife!
Why have you brought up this bitter strife?”

“What harm have I done, you avenge me thus?
Has Rama anyway offended us?
A moment ago I promised Him, The Royal Crown
Now how could I make his warm face frown?”

“My son Rama is the best among the best
He would renounce the kingdom at my behest
But why do you want Him go to the forest?
This request of yours is cunning and basest”

“Please my wife! Don’t kill me
Rama in the palace let Him be
Coronation of Bharatha, He would happily see
For my Rama’s heart is larger than the sea”

“What has happened to you, brave warrior?
To keep up your word, what’s the barrier?
A moment ago you promised on Rama’s life
Now you deform it with this pleading knife”

“You boasted yourself to be Rama’s father
Now your words of promise, you throw away farther
Be a man and do what is right
Or I’ll speak to Rama. You keep quiet”

Dasaratha wanted to smash Kaikeyi’s head
But to wound a woman was not in his blood
He no more wanted to look at her face
He slowly entered his deathbed phase

Giving up all hope he became silent
Thinking, ‘Why fate on me, has become so violent?’
Seeing Dasaratha would not utter a word
Kaikeyi herself took the step forward

She ordered her servants to summon Rama
Not bothering about her husband’s trauma
There came Rama like the virtue’s form
Jai Shri Ram! Jai Jai Shri Ram!

2 comments:

lakshmi said...

so beautifully written Ramesh...can visualize the scene before the eyes

ramesh sadasivam said...

Thank you Lakshmi. :)